This past Friday Rob and I were able to walk for Relay for Life. We were able to learn alot about lung, breast, and colon cancer. They had fake breasts for you to practice feeling for lumps and the scary thing is I could hardly feel them. We bought luminaries to dedicate to our family members who have or had cancer. Rob knew 1. I knew 5.
It made me really think about my risk of getting cancer one day, or even my mom. So far my grandpa has died of lung cancer in '92-never smoked, my Aunt Sherri died of breast cancer in 2003, my Uncle Doug just died last November from lung cancer-never smoked, my grandma survived breast cancer, and now my Aunt Linda is fighting brain cancer. All of these are on my mom's side of the family and 3 I'm blood-related to. Also, my friend Stephanie's dad Steve has had lung cancer for a few years. Rob fortunately doesn't have a history of relatives who have cancer, however his Grandpa Potts died of emphysema when Rob was 10 yrs old.
Laie's small Relay for Life was able to raise around $12,000. If you get a chance to walk in one, do it! It's free to walk and sponsors donate money for each person that walks. It can even double as date night and exercise. 
With Ogi and President and Sister Wheelwright. She is a cancer survivor.

5 comments:
thanks for the invite gosh..this is derek, hey rob are you feeling better? You guys did a great job on the talks last week. We all need to play some yah to the zee. I should be a English major. Derek and HIllary
Derek, this is Rob, Jana does a great job at keeping our blog updated. As of 5/21 I am released from physical therapy and have to take it easy for a while and keep up on my daily exercises. I am able to attend all of my classes, return to work, and I no longer need a cane to walk. Thank you for the compliment on our talks, it was good for us. We definitely need to have a game night, that way you can teach me some more "english".
Good job Jana and Rob! Way to support something you believe in.
Thats awesome. Way to go! Jeff and I have always wanted to do something like that...by the way, good luck on your diet. I don't think I would make it without sugar.
I have done relay for life for a friend who has cancer. It's a great event, I'm glad you were able to do it! You guys are so awesome!
Post a Comment