Saturday, November 20, 2010

Arizona Trip

A day or two after Yellowstone, we hopped a plane to Phoenix. Rob got to pick the vacation since I'd been on a few without him. We flew right over the grand canyon both times.
We stayed at his grandma's house where she keeps the temperature at 80! Even I, who likes heat, was uncomfortable. But we always have a good time with her and Grandpa Joe.

We didn't want to just sit around all week, so we planned some fun things to do. We spent the 4th of July at his aunt and uncle's house and visited with the family. I thought it was so weird that they can't ever do fireworks there. Those Phoenix-ans are missing out on the best part of the 4th!

Rob took me to an AZ Diamondbacks vs. Chicago Cubs game. My first MLB game and it was a lot of fun. I had no idea everyone sang songs during the 7th inning stretch, complete with organ music! I was hoping we'd get on the "kiss camera" but we never did.
We had to eat hot dogs!
The best part was that we were in an air-conditioned dome for the entire game. The worst part was the drunk guy behind us who was so loud!
We drove up to Sedona to see our friends Nate and Kim on vacation from Hawaii (funny phrase), and to go to slide rock. It was beautiful up there and slide rock was a blast! I want to go again and again. It was entertaining watching everyone slip and fall on the mossy rocks. They don't just fall, they land flat on their backs. Somehow no one breaks anything. We saved $20 a car by hiking down the cliff.

We also got to see some old friends from my student teaching days-Melanie and Joseph. And Rob's APX days-Nate.
We met up with his cousin Brian at the Cheesecake Factory. We had gotten food poisoning at lunch at a Mexican restaurant but didn't know it yet (can you tell how sick I am in the pic?). I could barely eat anything at the Cheesecake Factory and I don't think I can go back for a while. I was puking and you know what-ing all night long. Then Rob was all day long.

We were so sick and tired but it was our last day with his grandparents, so we went to eat with them at their "old folks" restaurant. We were the youngest customers in there.
It was a great vacation, minus the sickness. I couldn't eat Mexican for the rest of the summer.

2 comments:

Anderson Family said...

I am sorry you got sick eating Mexican food in AZ. We make the best here. I can seriously eat Mexican everyday. I am sorry that happened. Where did you eat at. I live in Mesa. Az

jaustin620 said...

You maybe should reword the wasting your last day with his grandparents!But as I read on I understood. Looks like you had fun!