Sunday, January 3, 2010

Summer Trips part 8: Camping in Yellowstone

Camping in Yellowstone is something I had on my "bucket list," so I was excited to hear Rob's family was planning a trip there. Rob and I packed up and headed up early to get 2 campsites for the family. The sites were going fast! As soon as people would leave, someone would be there to claim it. We got 2 sites, fairly close, and started setting up camp. Everyone else arrived a few hours later.
I had never driven into the park that early in the morning and we saw some beautiful scenery and animals.
We stayed for 2 nights and 3 days. We had fun just sitting around the fire, talking and eating at night, and touring Yellowstone during the day.
I didn't know, until Rob started laughing, that I had rubbed soot all over my face.
Heidi's (German FES) first S'MOREThe only traumatic events were when Felipe (Brazilian foreign exchange student) almost chopped off his thumb with the hatchet and flung blood everywhere, and when this mutant bug kept landing on my plate during dinner! Oh yeah, and the frisbee went on top of someone's RV.

The first night I had the hardest time sleeping. 1. because the temperature was getting down to the low 30's (in August!), and 2. because I kept thinking every noise was a bear! The second night I slept much better because we used a propane heater which kept me warm and kept me from hearing all the twigs snapping outside. What's funny is that was the night a coyote came into our camp.
This was my awesome idea. We didn't have to hold the flashlight while in our tent.
The second night, I had to get up and use the bathroom in the middle of the night, which never happens except when you're liable to get attacked by a wild animal as you walk through the woods to the bathroom. I made Rob get up with me. He was nice about it even though he would gladly have sent me on my own...to die! So we walk to the bathroom, everything's fine, of course.

Apparently the bathroom is Grand Central Station at 2 A.M. It was busy. Rob comes out and tells me he thought his brother Tony was in the stall so he (Rob) started coughing and grunting to see if Tony would recognize his voice. Rob didn't want to just say, "Hey Tony," and it not be him. You do weird things when you're half asleep and on a camp out. The other guy didn't respond so we went back to bed, or should I say "cot".

The next morning, Tony was talking about some guy in the bathroom last night making all kinds of noises. So it turns out it was Tony, and he was wondering what was wrong with the poor guy at the urinal.
These are some of the sights. It's beautiful there.
On our hike.
Old Faithful (Pres. Obama came the next day)See the Bald Eagle?See the coyote?It was so chilly the last day that we didn't stay for long. I want to go camp there again, but in July this time so maybe it will stay a little warmer at night. Anyone want to go?

1 comment:

Kim said...

Well, you are just on a roll with your blogging this week. Yay! How many summer trips did you guys take?! I haven't been to Yellowstone for a long time and I've never gotten to camp there. I would love to go with you guys next summer if we were going to be there! That is a funny story about the bathroom. At least there was one though, and you didn't just have to go in the woods!