After attending seminars and reading books this year, I got to join the history teachers on a trip to Washington D.C. As soon as I walked off the plane, I could feel the moisture soaking into my dry, Idaho skin. Ah! Felt like home.

After a stressful Metro ride, we made it to our hotel. One teacher got her body halfway in the car when the doors shut and it caused the train to malfunction. When the driver announced we may have to unload the train, the people were cussing and muttering, "Y'all done broke tha train." I was just praying it would correct itself so we wouldn't get jumped! I know there were 15 relieved women when that train started moving.
Our hotel was 1 block from The Mall which was a perfect location. It had an awesome, roof-top pool that overlooked the capitol building.
The next day our group of about 30 rented a bus and we rode out to Gettysburg-about a 2 hour drive.
This was a "witness tree" that was there during the war.

Most of the middle school S.S. teachers

We got off the bus a few times as our tour guide explained the events of the 3 day battle. I loved that I had a background knowledge since I taught it just a few weeks ago. I'm excited to show pictures to my class of the battlegrounds. The trees behind him are where the first shots were fired.




We got to have lunch in the oldest building in Gettysburg. It was built in the 1700's! After lunch we saw a hideout for the underground railroad.


My friend Juli

Next, our director had booked 2 museum visits for us: The Soldiers National Museum and The Presidents' Hall of Fame. They sound fancy right....wrong! I learned a new word to describe these museums-kitschy.

The soldier museum started out so so. It had glass cases of plastic soldiers set up in battle scenes. It also had helmets and weapons and things like that. It had bones from the Civil War with bullets in them which was actually pretty cool.

Then we saw this newspaper clipping and then we couldn't take it seriously anymore.

The "museum" was just a collection of toys!

We went down some steps into the "spook alley" of the museum. They had wax soldiers set up in a war scene in the forest/jungle. It was dark, the trees were hanging down all over, the soldiers had bushy hair and crazy eyes and were in strange poses. I thought at any minute something would jump out and grab us. We were dying laughing.

This is my boyfriend, Johnny Reb.

You have to see the natural lighting to get the full effect :)

So after the "haunted house," we went to see the little orphan boy exhibit. I know it's sad to think about the orphans, but he looked so pitiful and scary, and we were so hyper, that this put us over the edge. I was about to cry I was laughing so hard.

So we go to the next museum and it is just as bad as the first. They had wax statues of all the presidents. Is this really what they looked like? They all had black circles under their eyes and crazed expressions. I could not believe teachers in their 40's and 50's were climbing under the ropes and taking pictures with them! We don't have to be good examples during the summer, right?
Washington and Adams

We did get a few more
good things from Gettysburg before we left-real civil war bullets found on the battlefield (or maybe just rolled in the dirt out back), a pic of where the Gettysburg Address was given, and pics of houses with shrapnel and battle scars.


This red door is the house where, according to the brochure, "the only woman killed in battle while baking bread," was killed. Maybe they should reword that sentence...

Oh, and I made better friends with my co-workers. I never knew some of them were so funny and crazy! They probably thought the same thing of me. :)
1 comment:
All the wax figures are so creepy! I would've been laughing too. Sounds like you were with a fun group of women.
Post a Comment