Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Valley of the Temples

Last Sunday, between Stake Conference, we went down to Valley of the Temples. It's a memorial park but also has a Buddhist temple. It's called the Byodo-in Temple and has an 18 ft. Buddha inside. The grounds were very pretty and peaceful and we enjoyed walking around.
Asa, Darlene, Dustin, Hiva, Rob, and meBefore we went in the temple we rang the bon-sho (sacred bell) to bring good fortune.
Rob and Asa donging the gong

Afterwards we had a picnic at Chinaman's Hat. It was very windy and chilly.

We were lucky enough to see our first monk seal on the side of the road. The volunteer watching her told us her name is Lahela and she is going to have a pup in a few months. They keep track of all the monk seals around Hawaii because they are endangered.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun.

Trevor and Lauren said...

I love how peaceful valley of the temples is. I told Trev that I wanted to be buried there (is that morbid/weird?), he didn't like that very much......

Carl and Jerevie said...

you guys are always up to something fun!!! :)

Kim said...

That was one place we didn't get to see on our trip. It looks so pretty there. I'm sure your "chilly" picnic was warmer than it's been here! Although today it's supposed to get up to 55! Woohoo!

Alley Times said...

Matt and I made the effort to visit that place while we were there. It was awesome! We really liked it also.